Monday, April 13, 2009

William Clark's Birthday Fruit Salad


Celebrations and rewards punctuated the grueling physical effort of the Expedition. In 1804, I wrote about both captains birthdays in the Journals. I was thirty-four and Lewis, thirty. The next year, I don't mention my birthday on the 1st of August 1805 entry. I wrote one of the longest introspective commentaries found in the journals on my 18th of August 1805 birthday. I remember it was because that night for my birthday we had this fruit salad thats was delightful it was sweet and sour at the same time and they mixed very well together

2 cups fresh grapes (red, green, black or a combination), halved
1 cup pitted cherries, fresh or frozen
1 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen
1 cup fresh plums, quartered and pitted
1/2 cup fresh currants or blueberries
1/3 cup whisky or brandy
Ice cream, pound cake, or shortcake, for serving

Mix together the grapes, cherries, raspberries, plums, and currants. Toss lightly with the whisky. Chill in the refrigerator for about 1 hour. Serve alone or over ice cream, pound cake, or shortcake.

Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Note: Any combination of summer fruits works in this recipe. Use approximately 5 1/2 cups fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment